It’s a material world. Frame materials, that is. From plastics to metals, and everything in between, here we offer you a look at today’s top frame materials.
Eyeglass frames materials are generally described as metal, plastic, or a combination of the two. These are the broad buckets in which most frame materials belong but there’s quite a bit of variety within them.
How do you select an eyeglass frame material?
It’s likely, you’re more concerned with a look, color, or feel—not a material per se. Or maybe you’re looking for a particular feature…
- You’re into fun colors with flair. Plastics fit the bill.
- You want fashion? Perhaps you’d prefer a combination metal and plastic cat-eye frame with rhinestones or crystals.
- Function? For styling thin, lightweight, or hypoallergenic frames, titanium is tops.
- Want high tech and futuristic? Check out carbon fiber, made from fibers woven together for super strength.
- And, finally, you have options for eco-friendly eyeglass frames.
To help you understand your options and select the material that’s right for you, we present a comprehensive rundown of frame materials—three plastics and seven metals.